Mark 5:21–43 Discussion Guide
- Main Point of the Passage: Jesus demonstrated his power over sickness and death for two people who had faith in him.
- Main Point of the Lesson: Faith in Christ frees us from the fear of sickness and death.
- Main Application of the Lesson: Participants will face sickness and death with faith that Christ is more powerful.
- Key Verse: “When Jesus overheard what was said, he told the synagogue leader, ‘Don’t be afraid. Only believe.’” (Mark 5:36, CSB)
Smile Question: If you were a teacher, what subject would you want to teach?
Share Question: Tell about a time you think God healed somebody you know.
Introduce the Passage: Faith in Christ frees us from the fear of sickness and death. In Mark 5:21–43, Jesus demonstrated his power over sickness and death for two people who had faith in him.
Study Question: As we read Mark 5:21–43, let’s list answers to this question: How did each of the following people show faith (or a lack of faith) in Jesus? Jairus; the woman suffering from bleeding; the disciples; Jairus’ friends
- He fell at Jesus’ feet and begged Jesus to heal his daughter (vv. 22–24)
- He continued to follow Jesus’ instructions even after the news of his daughter’s death (vv. 35–40)
- The woman
- She risked public shame to touch Jesus (v. 27)
- She said, “If I just touch his clothes, I’ll be made well.” (v. 28)
- The disciples
- They continued following Jesus when faiilure to perform a a miracle would have meant public shame (vv. 37–40)
- Jairus’ friends
- They gave up once the girl died (v. 35)
- They laughed when Jesus said she was only sleeping (v. 40)
Connect-the-Dots Question: Read Mark 10:17–19. Why do you think Jesus’ response to this man was so different from his statements in Mark 5:34 or Mark 2:5?
Count-the-Cost Question: Tell about a time you saw someone demonstrate faith in Christ even though they didn’t expect Jesus to heal them or their loved one.
Let’s-Do-It Question: If you were in a situation similar to Jairus, how could you show your confidence in Christ?
Prayer: Father, thank you for showing your power over sickness and death and your compassion for the hurting. Give us faith to trust you even in the face of death. Amen.