Mark 6:1–6 Discussion Guide
- Main Point of the Passage: When Jesus preached in his hometown, he was amazed at their unbelief.
- Main Point of the Lesson: The power of Jesus is available to those who believe.
- Main Application of the Lesson: Participants will refuse to let their unbelief limit the power of God in their lives.
- Key Verse: “He was not able to do a miracle there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and healed them. And he was amazed at their unbelief.” (Mark 6:5–6a, CSB)
Smile Question: What is your favorite food found in the wild?
Share Question: Tell about a time you felt like you were limiting God.
Introduce the Passage: The power of Jesus is available to those who believe. In Mark 6:1–6, when Jesus preached in his hometown, he was amazed at their unbelief.
Study Question: List each of the questions people asked about Jesus in this passage, then give the answer you think should have been obvious to them.
- Where did this man get these things? (v. 2)
- What is this wisdom that has been given to him? (v. 3)
- How are these miracles performed by his hands? (v. 3)
- Isn’t this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and the brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And aren’t his sisters here with us? (v. 4)
Connect-the-Dots Question: This is the first time in the book of Mark that someone has been “offended by” Jesus. How does this response compare to the responses of the other people who have met Jesus so far in Mark’s gospel?
Count-the-Cost Question: What do you think made it more difficult for these people to believe in Jesus?
Let’s-Do-It Question: Have you found any strategies for overcoming unbelief in your own life?
Prayer: Father, thank you for showing Christ’s power of evil. Give us faith to receive that power in our lives. Amen.