Lesson Overview: Romans 13:1–7
This is lesson 3 of 6 in Living Sacrifices.
- Main Point of the Passage: Paul explained that Christians must submit to governing authorities.
- Main Point of the Lesson: Christians should submit to governing authorities.
- Main Application of the Lesson: Participants will identify ways to submit to governing authorities and possible exceptions to this rule.
- Key Verse: Romans 13:1, “Everyone must submit to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist are instituted by God.”
- Word Studies: Submit in Romans 13:1
To prepare for this lesson, write your own answers to each of the questions below. You will share some of your answers with the group, but make it your goal to talk less than 20% of the Bible study time. Ask the questions, listen to your group, and let them carry the Bible study. You’ll be amazed.
Once everyone in your group is sitting in a circle, say, “Here’s the first question. Everyone answers the first question, and it’s just for fun.” Then read the first question, pause, and listen to your group’s answers.
Smile Question: What’s the most expensive appliance or electronic device you’ve ever broken?
Share Question: What are some of the responsibilities Christians have in relation to our civil government authorities?
Introduce the Passage: One of the responsibilities Christians have is to submit to the governing authorities. In Romans 13:1–7, that’s what Paul instructed the Christians in Rome to do.
- Optional:Have a member of your group either recite the passage from memory or give a detailed summary of the passage from memory.
- Optional: Have a member of your group present their word study on the following word(s): Submit in Romans 13:1
Study Question: As we read Romans 13:1–7, let’s look for reasons why a Christian should submit to the governing authorities.
Connect-the-Dots Question: Can you think of differences between the government Paul’s readers lived under and our own government?
Count-the-Cost Question: Can you think of times when God might expect a Christian to disobey the governing authorities?
Let’s-Do-It Question: What do you need to do differently to uphold the principles Paul taught in this passage?
Prayer: Father, thank you for the ways you have blessed us through the civil government. Teach us to see our government from your perspective. Give us the courage and wisdom to submit to the governing authorities, and when necessary disobey. Amen.