Lesson Overview: Romans 8:1-27
This is lesson 3 of 7 in Life – Giving Justification.
- Main Point of the Passage: Paul explained to the Christians in Rome that the Spirit brings life to those who are in Christ Jesus.
- Main Point of the Lesson: The Spirit brings life to those who are in Christ Jesus.
- Main Application of the Lesson: Participants will live out their victory over sin and death because of the Spirit.
- Key Verse: Romans 8:11 , ”And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will also bring your mortal bodies to life through His Spirit who lives in you.”
- Word Studies: Life in Romans 8:10
To prepare for this lesson, write your own answers to each of the questions below. You will share some of your answers with the group, but make it your goal to talk less than 20% of the Bible study time. Ask the questions, listen to your group, and let them carry the Bible study. You’ll be amazed.
Once everyone in your group is sitting in a circle, say, “Here’s the first question. Everyone answers the first question, and it’s just for fun.” Then read the first question, pause, and listen to your group’s answers.
Smile Question: Who is the best athlete you’ve ever known personally?
Share Question: Tell about a time you believe the Holy Spirit helped you overcome the power of sin.
Introduce the Passage: The Spirit brings life to those who are in Christ Jesus. That’s what Paul taught in chapter eight of his letter to the Christians in Rome. In the previous chapter, Paul described the miserable state of a person living under the Law. That person is a slave to sin and death. But in chapter eight, he celebrated the drastic change that comes when a person dies to the Law and is born again in Christ. Since we died with Christ, we have been released from the law of sin and death. Now the “law” we’re under is a law of life.
- Optional:Have a member of your group either recite the passage from memory or give a detailed summary of the passage from memory.
- Optional: Have a member of your group present their word study on the following word(s): Life in Romans 8:10
Study Question: As we read Romans 8:1-17, let’s answer this question: how is life in Christ better than life under the law?
No condemnation (v. 1)
Free from the law of sin and death (v. 2)
The law’s requirement is fully accomplished in us (v. 4)
- Walk according to the Spirit, not the flesh (v. 4)
- Think about the things of the Spirit, not the flesh (v. 5)
- Life and peace instead of death and hostility to God (v. 6-7)
- Able to submit to please God (v. 8)
- Have the Spirit of Christ living in us (v. 9)
- The Spirit brings life to our mortal bodies (v. 10-11)
- Not obligated to live according to the flesh (v. 12)
- Sons of God (v. 14-16)
- Heirs of God (v. 17)
Connect-the-Dots Question: In verse 4, Paul says God sent Jesus “… in order that the law’s requirement would be accomplished in us …” In what sense is the Old Testament Law’s requirement accomplished in us?
Count-the-Cost Question: What do you think prevents more people from experiencing the type of life Paul describes in this passage?
Let’s-Do-It Question: What do you think keeps you personally from experiencing this type of life?
Prayer: Father, teach us to live by your Spirit. Thank you for fulfilling the law’s requirement so that we can experience life the way you intended. In Jesus’ name, amen.